Monday Music: Eros and Valentine's Day
Dr Feelgood (Love is Serious Business)I don't want nobody, always
Sittin' around me and my man
I don't want nobody, always
Sittin' around here
Lookin' at me and that man
Be it my mother, my brother, or my sister
Would you believe, I'd get up
Put on some clothes
Go out and help them find somebody for themselves,
if I can, yes I will
Now I don't mind company
Because company's alright with me
Every once in awhile
Yes it is,
I tell you I don't mind company
Because company is alright with me
Every once in awhile, yeah
And Ooooooooooooooh
When me and that man get to lovin'
I tell ya girls, I dig ya, but I just don't have time
To sit and chit, and sit and chit-chat and smile
Don't send me no doctor
Fillin' me up with all a those pills
I got me a man named Doctor Feelgood
Yeah! Yeah!
That man takes care of all my pains and ills
His name is Doctor Feelgood in the morning
Take care of business is really this man's game
And after one visit from Dr. Feelgood,
You understand why FeelGood is his name.
Oh! Yeah! Oooh!
Good God almighty
The man sure makes me feel real
Goooooooood!
The same production team, Wexler-Mardin-Dowd that brought us Dusty in Memphis had been much more successful commercially two years earlier with Aretha's groundbreaking I Never Love A Man The Way I Love You, clearly one of the best Classic R'n'B albums ever made. It rescued La Franklin from the eventual rut created for her by Columbia. While some of the music on Columbia was worthwhile, Atlantic Records let her be herself and the result was magic.
"Dr. Feelgood" makes its point without a hook and not much of a melody to speak of. It is sheer music and clearly points the way to Rap. While she is doing so to the choir, Aretha is preaching here with the best of them and it is an ode to pure, unadulterated eros.

Eros entered the language regarding the human personality by virtue of his presence in Greek mythology as the god of love. In Rome he was known as Cupid. In all of his versions Aphrodite/Venus is his mother, although his paternity varies. Interestingly enough Pathos (Desire) is his brother and his bond with Psyche (Soul) is the main story line attached to his deity.
Janet and Stewart Farrar in The Witches' God let us know that the theme of this story is: "the human soul coming to terms with love and learning its lessons on the way -- including the one that you shouldn't analyse it too minutely but should live it with it on its own terms."
Aretha expressed it in a mo' better down to earth way: "Good God Almighty! The man sure makes me feel real good!" Here's hoping, as we approach another Saint Valentine's Day, that those of you who are bonded erotically enjoy and appreciate the moments, the expression of which provide a lifetime of reliving sensuousness.
May the good and mighty Eros pay all of you a visit. Get psyched!

Photography from David Morgan
FYI: Valentine's Day is not a made up holiday. It an ancient feast, Lupercalia, having nothing to do with love in a way but a lot to do with lust and sensuality. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Comments