Sunday Songs: I took this man's love and put it on a shelf.



Mainstream R'n'B is rife with advice. You can go back in classic urban blues as far back as Bessie Smith and Sippie Wallace and find advice for the lovelorn, especially women who pay no heed to warning signs. "Clean Up Woman" is probably Betty Wright's biggest hit. It was a crossover top ten hit. The song Still resonates as evidenced by Betty's live perforamnce. This is Miami soul at its best. Thrown in for good measure two more great songs from Betty.

A Clean up woman is a woman who
gets all the love we girls leave behind.

The reason I know so much about her
is because she picked up a man of mine.

Jumpin' slick was my ruin 'cause,
I found out all I was doing was makin' it easy,
for the Clean up woman to get my man's love ah yeah

Just making it easy for the clean up woman
to get my baby's love ah hum, um hum.
I took this man's love and put it a shelf
and like a fool I thought I had him all to myself.

When ya needed love I was out having fun,
but I found out that all I had done
was made it easy for the clean woman

to get my man's love un huh,
yes that what I did I made it easy for the
Clean up woman to steal my baby's love oh yeah.

The Clean Up woman will wipe his blues away.
She'll give him plenty of lovin 24 hours a day.

The Clean up woman she'lll sweep him off his feet.
She's the one who'll take him in when you dump him in the street.

So take a tip you better get hip.
To the clean up woman cause she's tough
I mean she really cleans up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln