Sunday Songs: "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa

There's nothing better than a song that tells a story. "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" is a mini Soap opera that encompasses more than one musical style, one of Bacharach's best and one of Gene Pitney's finer moments. La Springfield took it and gave it a female flavour.




Dearest darlin' I had to write to say that I won't be home anymore
'cause something happened to me while I was drivin' home
And I'm not the same anymore
Oh, I was only twenty four hours from Tulsa
Ah, only one day away from your arms
I saw a welcoming light and stopped to rest for the night

And that is when I saw her as I pulled in outside of the small motel she was there
And so I walked up to her, asked where I could get something to eat
And she showed me where.
Oh, I was only twenty four hours from Tulsa
Ah, only one day away from your arms
She took me to the cafe, I asked her if she would stay, she said "OK"

Oh, I was only twenty four hours from Tulsa
Ah, only one day away from your arms
The jukebox started to play and night time turned into day as we were dancin'
Closely, all of a sudden I lost control as I held her charms
And I caressed her, kissed her, told her I'd die
Before I would let her out of my arms

Oh, I was only twenty four hours from Tulsa
Ah, only one day away from your arms
I hate to do this to you but I love somebody new, what can I do?
And I can never, never, never---go home again.





The very talented Matt Walton will be giving the song new life on December 1 at New World Stages for Bacharach to the Future. Walton is, of course, no stranger to Soap Operas having been on both All My Children and One Life to Live. It was grand to discover that among his many talents is also singing.

Wikipedia offers this about "Don't Make Me Over" -- Released in November 1962, the recording of ... was issued with a mis-spelling of the artist's name: Warwick, rather than Warrick. The singer decided to keep the mis-spelling and would forever after be known by the latter name. The song became Warwick's first hit single, reaching #21 on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart and #5 on the hot R&B singles chart in January 1963, becoming the first of over 50 singles Warwick scored between 1962 and 1998.


The song is a cathartic power ballad like no other save the exceptional "Anyone Who Had A Heart."


(If you're wondering, by the way, a day away from Tulsa is probably somewhere halfway from San Diego.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Datalounge

Your Sunday Studs: Mike Betts and Rick Wolfmier

Rest in Peace: If you were escaping demons, here's hoping you are free