And the Beat Goes On


From Philly Burbs Blog:

Oooh, Isaiah Washington is in deep, deep trouble …

According to FOX News, “A gay and lesbian advocacy group demanded an apology Wednesday from Grey’s Anatomy co-star Isaiah Washington for comments made following the Golden Globe Awards.”

That’s not why Washington is in trouble, though. For those of you who don’t know, Washington (who plays Dr. Preston Burke) called fellow co-star T.R. Knight (George) a “faggot” in an on-set scuffle back in October. The incident caused Knight to come out about his homosexuality to the media – not like he was hiding it to begin with.

Anyways, the backlash Washington has been facing as a result of his homophobic tirade has been fierce. Even though he tried to deny it at the Golden Globes, everyone knows he said it, Knight confirmed he said it, and the public wants his head for it – and they might just get it.

First off, faggot is an offensive word, like everyone has been arguing. But in this case, using it hurt Washington much more than Knight. He’s no longer one of the ‘Grey’s’ golden children, but instead seen as a low-class, ignorant loser – and justifiably so.

Grey’s Anatomy is one of my favorite shows, but it certainly doesn’t need Washington to be good. In fact, the show would do just fine without him – which is why there are talks of killing him off or recasting him. Personally, I don’t care if they fire him or not. It would certainly make sense to do so, but firing him wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

He already has to wake up every day knowing that his precious hit show success might be gone tomorrow, and he’ll certainly never have it again once ‘Grey’s’ is kaput. Hilariously enough, Knight is now a Hollywood hero and Washington will end up picking up his dry cleaning.

What an idiot.

AfterElton says:

So what should ABC and Rhimes do?

AfterElton asked Paris Barclay, the widely respected director, producer, and a Director's Guild of America Vice President currently working on FX's Dirt and CBS's CSI, what action should be taken against Washington. “Here's what needs to happen: ABC, from Steve McPherson [ABC President] on down, need to condemn this kind of hate-speak, and Isaiah needs to be fired. It's just that simple. He needs to go. He's a homophobe and a liar, and no matter how important he may appear to be, there has to be a line on what behavior is acceptable both on the set and when representing the show to the press.”

When asked how he would've handled the situation, Barclay said, “We'd figure out a way to work out the contract issues, and write the actor out as quickly as possible. Actors with addiction problems have been let go unceremoniously -- this to me is much worse.”

Datalounge Says:

Gay Netizens, Not GLAAD, Leading The Charge Against The Other �F Word�

It'd be nice if the gay-friendly celebs GLAAD is obsessed with would stop giving them so much power and money. It'd be nice if they cared enough about the issue to pay attention to whether GLAAD actually does anything, which it doesn't.

Comments

Jan. 18, 2007 — Statement of apology from Isaiah Washington regarding his recent remarks and actions at the Golden Globe Awards:

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on "Grey's Anatomy." I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help.

I know the power of words, especially those that demean. I realize that by using one filled with disrespect, I have hurt more than T.R. and my colleagues. With one word, I've hurt everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted. I welcome the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened.

T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character. I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln