Happy Holidays


How We Do What We Do

Brian Rodgers is how we do it. Discovering Brian is one of the best things a body can do. Christopher Meloni discovered that early on when Brian created his award winning official website. Brian has blessed Column of Life with his magic touch. Brian is not only endowed with cyber magic he is only one of the best people in cyber town. The whys and wherefores of a personal relationship can be reduced to the concepts of goodness, kindness, humour and honesty. He doesn't even have to be in the same room with you.

The following is his Christmas message:

Remember how you used to get long Christmas letters from people detailing what had happened during the year? Well, this is the electronic version. Except it's not really all about me. Honest it's not.

Now, you have the option of skipping it altogether by quickly scrolling to the end and getting to the important thing right away. I guess that could be a Christmas present you might choose to open early.

However, you're not going to do that, are you.

What's (maybe not so) new

First, thanks to all who have enquired about my health. After getting the right medication mix, everything seems to be fine. However, it's a pain remembering to take everything and when. I now have these pill containers for various times of day, each day of the week. It's official - I have become my father. Still, I have to admit that with the blood pressure and diabetes under control I'm feeling the best I have in a long time.

Work is as hectic as ever, but I'm still enjoying it. There are times when my alarm goes off in the morning that I think, "Ya know, I could retire now and not wait 2 years," but I've learned not to listen to myself. Besides when I look out my window at home, the best I can hope for is to see the odd squirrel; at work, chances are it will be deer. What can be better than working in the middle of a forest? It's almost deserving of an opera - no, no, not "Hansel and Gretel".

Once again, my trip to NYC was postponed. I know, I know. What else is new. But honestly, it's not really my fault. Oh, all right, it is my fault. I've decided that I'm no longer going to say that I'm going to NYC; I'm going to say when I go to NYC. I really want to make it to join Giovanni for the AIDS Walk next year. He's been doing a great job raising money, but I figure he needs some friendly competition.

On the bright side, I haven't had to move this year. My raucous, inconsiderate, let's-party-at-3-in-the-morning upstairs neighbours are no longer around. Trust me, this old Victorian house wasn't built to take circuit party music. Neither, of course, was this old not-so-Victorian tenant.

Then there was my nocturnal visitor, Vlad, the bat. Now, that's a story, but if I haven't already regaled you with it, it's a bit too long for a Christmas letter that threatens to rival "War And Peace". Maybe later.

And speaking of Giovanni. No, the bat didn't remind me of him. In case you forgot already, go back three paragraphs.

Worth A Visit

As most of you know, my web design hobby keeps me busy in my spare time. So ...

Giovanni's (and his ever-present companion Bernice Clifton's) Column of Life is the place for lots of actors' and musicians' photo pages, articles, opinions and musings, as well as an always up-to-date blog.

Christina's peaen to Gary Raymond chronicles an extensive career of films, television and theatre that has spanned 5 decades.

Chris Meloni's Official Home Page is my oldest site. That's not to say that it's stale or outdated, though. Chris continues strong as Stabler in "Law & Order: SVU" and this summer wowed theatre-goers and critics alike as the lead in Arthur Miller's "A View From The Bridge" at the Gate Theatre in Dublin

And my newest - Daniel Petronijevic's Unofficial Web Page. Yes, another actor, but this time a young Canadian whose portrayal of the troubled gay football player in "Playmakers" was perfect. He's not well known, but deserves to be.

And, as is my custom, I usually feature a few sites not of my own design that I've run across in my cyber-travels

Thanks to Gio for leading me to Michael Clay's Official Website. A man who follows his own path, this Austin-based singer/songwriter uses his music to explore his soul. And a delightful soul it is.

Maybe you'd like to unwrap some of Lewis Payton's photos. Now, Santa, I've been a good boy, honest I have. Can you fill my stocking with one of those?

What's that, Santa? Oh. OK, I'll take a photo too.

and as always


Please support the
Lesbian Gay Bi Youth Line

They shouldn't have to feel alone

Of course, my (in)famous newsletters wouldn't be complete without . . .

All things bright and gay

There's too much bad news. Afghanistan, Iraq, terrorism, tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes - man-made and natural disasters that at times seem overwhelming. So at Christmas, while we can't and shouldn't forget these, some cheerier fare - all with a gay bent (yep, pun intended).

Same sex marriage is a reality in all of Canada. Legislation passed the House of Commons, the Senate and received Royal Assent on July 21, 2005.

That's not to say it wasn't a struggle and that challenges still don't exist, particularly within one political party, but it's a cause for celebration.

Gays and lesbians have had most of the same rights as other Canadians for many years. Now the circle is complete.

One of the more interesting stories that didn't make a big splash (and that's how it should be) was the marriage of a sergeant and a warrant officer in May at Nova Scotia's Greenwood Airbase.

Must Read
  • Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx
  • Tab Hunter Confidential - Tab Hunter with Eddie Muller
  • The Year of Ice - Brian Malloy
  • Troublemaker and Fadeout - Joseph Hansen
Must See (DVD) With Anticipation

Christmas offers us a unique gift - the release on December 9th of Ang Lee's film adaptation of Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Filmed in Alberta on essentially a small budget this has the potential of being the gay movie that will cross into Oscar territory.

A movie that has already won over most of the critics, including taking the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, and has left audiences in tears.

Plain and simple, it's a story about love. A love that neither man can understand, but one that ties them inexorably over 20 years. One review I read says it has the feel of "Romeo and Juliet" - two people whose love is undeniable, beyond their control and destined for tragedy.

Check out Andy Towle's Towleroad for more and, in particular, Giovanni's Brokeback film page for photos and reviews.

Now, if only Patricia Nell Warren, who once again owns the rights, could finally succeed in her quest to bring The Front Runner to us.

And with that, my friends

Wishing You Peace And Love
Brian
www.bgrdesign.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln