Things Change

“You have lost too much, but you have not lost everything. And you have certainly not lost America, for we will stand with you for as many tomorrows as it takes.”
---------------------------------President Clinton’s Oklahoma City Speech.



"As the jazz patriarch Ellis Marsalis once said: "You know, I don't think New Orleans is ever going to change, because I don't think in the scheme of things, it's supposed to change."

That sentiment will be tested now as never before, but Mr. Marc Morial [former mayor and head of the Urban League] said he was confident the city could rebuild and recover.

"I've heard from so many people and everyone says the same thing," he said. "First they say, 'How's your mom? Is she O.K.?' Then they say, 'We've got to do something to help.' A lot of people have lost everything they own, but there's a great spirit, a zeal, to clean up and to rebuild." -- New York Times

Me? I believe I’m a caterpillar buried deep down under the ground. The entire earth is above me, crushing me and I begin to bore through the soil, making a passage to the surface so that I can penetrate the crust and issue into the light. It’s hard work boring through the entire earth, but I am able to be patient because I have a strong premonition that as soon as I do issue into the light I shall become a butterfly.

-- Nikos Kazantzakis' Biography of Francis if Assisi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln