The Wednesday Word: Love the One You're With



There are many tags and names for temporary liaisons: tryst, one night stand, trick, and, of course, oh-christ-was-I-drunk-last-night. In Italian it is an avventura, an adventure. The less evolved experience is nothing more than glorified masturbation. The best experiences are truly adventures in creative love making. This post is in praise of that kind of promiscuity.



Part of the liberation that came about on the threshold of the 70s and well into that decade meant for many gay men that it was time to openly participate in finding the love of life, even if it meant only temporarily. While that may sound offhand, it is very true.



There's something to be said for the sweet and sad emotional recollection of a memorable hour, afternoon or night spent with someone. This speaks to a different kind of morality--one which reminds us to celebrate humanity in all of its expressions. It is possible to love someone temporarily.



The 80s crashed with the reality of safe sex. Still safe sex does not mean that the loving need end. This week's music is headed by Joan Baez's hymn to the beauty of loving a stranger. It is followed by Stephen Stills exhortation sung by Jean Terrell with The Supremes and Four Tops. Evie Sands' claim to fame rounds it out, reminding us that love in the traditional sense may have nothing to do with it, but it is love in the end.


Love Song To A Stranger lyrics

(Words and Music by Joan Baez)

How long since I've spent a whole night in a twin bed with a stranger
His warm arms all around me?
How long since I've gazed into dark eyes that melted my soul down
To a place where it longs to be?
All of your history has little to do with your face
You're mainly a mystery with violins filling in space

You stood in the nude by the mirror and picked out a rose
From the bouquet in our hotel
And lay down beside me again and I watched the rose
On the pillow as it fell
I sank and I slept in a twilight with only one care
To know that when day broke and I woke that you'd still be there

The hours for once they passed slowly, unendingly by
Like a sweet breeze on a field
Your gentleness came down upon me and I guess I thanked you
When you caused me to yield
We spoke not a sentence and took not a footstep beyond
Our two days together which seemingly soon would be gone

Don't tell me of love everlasting and other sad dreams
I don't want to hear
Just tell me of passionate strangers who rescue each other
From a lifetime of cares
Because if love means forever, expecting nothing returned
Then I hope I'll be given another whole lifetime to learn

Because you gave to me oh so many things it makes me wonder
How they could belong to me
And I gave you only my dark eyes that melted your soul down
To a place where it longs to be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln