Monday Music: One of Us

Here are your weekly songs. Even the youngest of baby boomers of the era when Johnny Mathis hit his peak knew he was gay. He was the most visible gay man of that era. He was a man who did not aspire to be anything than what he was--an accomplished singer. There were few who could deliver the goods as well as this sweet crooner.

From Hole-in-the-Head Blogspot:

The amazing thing about Johnny Mathis is that he survived in the entertainment business for 50 years being black, a homosexual and a tenor. I was surprised to hear that in 1982 he officially came out of the gay closet and for his honesty was greeted with death threats ... Throughout his career he seemed to never deny who he was, but sort of floated above it, giving out clues to his lifestyle on his album covers.


Back then there was a great photo on a fan mag of Johnny with George Chakiris. How thoroughly satisfying was the thought of the two of them together. If you had to be an adolescent in the era of coitus homosexual interruptus that was a fantasy that got you through many a rough night.

It was surprising that he was the object of death threats when he came out in 1982, because it was one of those non-surprising revelations. Go figure.

What is most interesting in retrospect is to note that "Chances Are," probably his biggest hit back then, is generic regarding the object of the singer's affection. There is no gender specific pronoun.

Chances are 'cause I wear a silly grin
The moment you come into view,
Chances are you think that I'm in love with you.
Just because my composure sort of slips
The moment that your lips meet mine,
Chances are you think my heart's your Valentine.

Bridge:

In the magic of moonlight,
When I sigh, "Hold me close, dear,"
Chances are you believe the stars
That fill the skies are in my eyes.



Guess you feel you'll always be
The one and only one for me
And, if you think you could,
Well, chances are your chances are awfully good.

In the magic of moonlight,
When I sigh, "Hold me close, dear,"
Chances are you believe the stars
That fill the skies are in my eyes.

Guess you feel you'll always be
The one and only one for me
And, if you think you could,
Well, chances are your chances are awfully good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln