Song of the Week: Supremes



This week's feature relates to last week's in that they are very similar musically. The current song, "Everything's Good About You" was recorded by the original Supremes and while it embodies all the elements of their biggest hits, there is something a bit more subtle about it. Subtlety tends to be something sorely lacking in the saga of the three young women who became international singing stars, especially in its embodiment within Dreamgirls.

The most important thing of the real Supremes' or Diana Ross' story is that it is the story of young black women who rose out of the projects and were ultimately projected to the top of their trade. The next important thing to remember is that Diana Ross unlike Ronnie Spector and Tina Turner has always been her own woman. Berry Gordy may have been a controlling influence but -- it seems -- he did not abuse her. Miss Ross made her choices. She is not perfect but she has become a symbol and a paradigm.

"This is my life. This is not a fucking story." -- Ms Ross' reaction to Dreamgirls on Broadway.

Sheryl Lee Ralph was the original Deena Jones on Broadway. J. Randy Taraborelli in Call Her Miss Ross tells us that the character "was a 60s Diana Ross clone in every visual cliched way, flailing arms, thick eye make-up, heavy duty wigs, and a mouthful of sparkling teeth. Sheryl Lee Ralph ... admitted, 'I did deny it over and over again whenever anyone asked me if it was true [if it was] Diana. And it was all a big lie, because it really was Diana I was playing and trying to look like and sound like.'


(by James Dean and Edward Holland, Jr.)

So sweet you are
Like a shining star
You brighten my whole world
It brings me joy being your girl

'Cause everything's good about you
I couldn't live without you
You're sweet, you're so fine
I'm so thankful that you're mine
Full of clover Bustin' out all over
You're the summer in the park
You're the candle in the dark
And I love you, so true
Yes, I do

You're the love of my life
You're a pure delight
The short time I've been with you
Such happiness I never knew

You must've come from heaven above
You're the poets' meaning of love
Your tender touch means oh so much
You're the sunshine after the storm
When I'm cold you make me warm
And I love you, so true
Yes, I do

So love me day and night
And things will be alright
Together just you and me
Just living in pure ecstasy

'Cause everything's good about you
I couldn't live without you
You are my guiding light
When things go wrong
You make them right
This heart inside's bursting with pride
Please let your heart surround me
And always stay around me
I love you, so true
Yes, I do, yeah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln