Song of the Week: Drivin' A Solid Plan

He's Sure the Boy I Love
I always dreamed the boy I loved would come along
And he'd be tall and handsome, rich and strong.
Now that boy I love has come to me,
But he sure ain't the way I thought he'd be.

(SUNG)
He doesn't look like a movie star,
He doesn't drive a Cadillac car,
He sure ain't the boy I've been dreamin' of,
But he's sure the boy I love.
Let me tell ya now,
He'll never be a big business man
He always buys on the installment plan
He sure ain't the boy I been dreamin' of,
But he's sure the boy I love.

When he holds me tight,
Everythings right,
Crazy as it seems,
I'm his, whatever he is,
And I forget all of my dreams,
And everybody knows...

He doesn't hang diamonds round my neck,
And all he's got is an unemployment check
He sure ain't the boy I been dreamin' of,
But he's sure the boy I love.


This Phil Spector production was, like "He's A Rebel" before it, credited to the Crystals and believed to be The Blossoms with Darlene Love in the lead. Many suspect it is simply Darlene with back up provided by whoever may have been in the studio while Mr Spector worked his magic. Darlene's unique and powerful vocals were used often by Spector before he started focusing on other artists.

Darlene was a pleasure to behold when she performed. She knew when to let loose and when to hold back. She still is the consummate performer.

This song is memorable because Philly teenagers misheard the line with "installment plan" and translated it into "He always drives with me a solid plan." A "man with a plan" was an ultimately desired man.

It is also a memorable tune in that the production, while true to Spector's penchant for a big sound, is also quite primitive compared to subsequent recordings under his banner.

It's a feel good song without pretention. The vocal is up front and honest without needing to be buried behind a wall of sound. Besides, there's no burying Darlene. It drives a solid plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POZ - POZ Army

Sunday Songs: Abbey Lincoln